Saturday, April 28, 2012

Rally Drum Red Ale

Took my Saturday afternoon to 8th Street Grille to check out the local craft beer scene. This pub features over 25 taps of almost all Michigan craft beer. I spent the afternoon working my way through a couple samples in order to make up for the lack of posts these last few weeks.
5.8% ABV

Appearance: Frothy cream colored head that is well sustained. Some carbonated accumulation clings to the perimeter of the glass, reminiscent looking of a soft drink. The color is amber with a darkened hue. Very bright, with some carbonation visibly present.
Aroma: The malt bill is caramel and boastful of crystal and even notes of rye. Some floral undertones emerge, accompanied with dark fruit and dates. Towards the end I can draw a sweet pine scent and even grapefruit.
Taste: The start to me immediately opens with a strong acidity, this more than likely attributed to the hops. The base again is characterized by dark Munich malt, caramel and crystal. As one approaches the end, the acidity deepens, but supports that dark fruit flavor noted in the aroma. Pine is a primary player in this. I think that either Citra or Simcoe hops may have been used. The end rounds out quited bittered, with a near lemonfresh- pine needle complexity.
Mouthfeel: I found this beer to maintain a lot of carbonation up front, with a dense concentration of fine biting bubbles. This lasts throughout the taste. Frothy bodied and rich, but smooth and relatively easy drinking. The end is very dry and resined.
Overall Impression: Definitely a hopped-up Red ale by my standards, and perhaps overhelming to some. Nevertheless I enjoy the layers of flavor that emerge as the beer progresses in temperature and as the palate adjusts. The only drawback I may see would be the carbonation being a bit too biting, but everything else is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment