Monday, April 16, 2012

Plus / Minus

Thanks to Mr. Justin Brooks for bringing this, as well as several others (and some homebrew) to a small tasting I hosted at my house before the BucketHead weekend. Unfortunately this, and many of the other beers remaining in my fridge will not reach my lips. Instead, Jen reviewed this while I was spending some time in Chicago seeing family before moving to Holland.

Appearance: Pours hazy, on the verge of chestnut brown with a ruby tint when held up to the light. Frothy off-white head, keeps a filmlike layer of good consistency throughout the whole tasting.
Aroma: A very light aroma, a little difficult to distinguish characteristics. Presence of sweet chocolate malts that are complemented by biscuit and caramel undertones. Noticeable presence of musky and earthy aromas too.
Taste: Very simple and mild. The preceding aroma sets you up for it. Overall malt sweetness reminiscent to mild chocolate, followed by certain toasted nutty flavors. Finishes with a musky and slightly metallic aftertaste that I notice is disappearing with each sip. Slight bitterness to the finish, but the hops were not overly prominent.
Mouthfeel: Slightly watery and thin, low carbonation but decent amount that complements the flavors to some degree.
Overall Impression: It was really drinkable thanks to the mild flavors, low alcohol and the amount of carbonation that complemented the flavor profile. I just found myself wishing something surprised me, a stand-out flavor or something.

-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment