Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Berry Weiss

The package was sitting in the fridge, and I remember my sister explaining to me how some people may want me to blog my feelings about basic domestic beers. I could only muster to try leinenkugel's. Having previously vowed to keep this blog restricted to the 7$+/6 pack, everyone changes. Thanks to Matthew Bowman and his strange girly taste (mikes hard and Smirnoff Raspberry Ice included) for fruity alcoholic beverages, I was able to try this.

Appearance: Pale pink color with an apparent haziness. Minimal head retention, but only leaving a sticky foamed lace behind it. Little if any visible carbonation. Medium clarity
Aroma: Fruity tartness jumps out of the glass, without any effort to smell. Nevertheless the aroma is reminiscent of candied raspberries and strawberries. Tartness is highly present.
Taste: An absurdly sweet and tart flavor that is equally comparable to a fruity grape juice. Somewhat of an alka-seltzer finish flavor and some synthetic-ness as well. Aside from that the fruitiness and tartness of the berry adjuncts mask all potential and classic flavors of a Weiss beer. I'd consider this more in the category of a Lambic Framboise.
Mouthfeel: Light and generally forgiving with an ending carbonated spike that hits mid tongue. Blossoms into a frothy consistency as it flushes down the throat. Lighter body. Stick and tacky texture to both the lips an tongue.
Overall Impression: I'm surprised at the amount of tart character presented in this beer. As a child I'd totally be down for this beer, especially with my artificial-bubbaliscous-fruit-warhead palate. But now? not a chance. Sure the grapiness is fine but the finish is really the tell tale sign of something strange going down. I wasn't really a fan of the overtly sour Lambic, and this goes the same, as the American version. Nevertheless, the palatability and flavor administers an attractive taste that may or may not be conducive to the average beer drinker. I am personally not a fan of the under attenuated sugar tartness, but I can certainly see that there is an audience out there that is.


71/100

No comments:

Post a Comment