Monday, July 11, 2011

East-West Kolsch

The second beer I was able to review from El Bait Shop. It was only $3 and we were curious to try it. I rarely do Sam Adams, but I know I need to review more to appeal to the mass public.

Appearance: Golden with a swirling white head and a bubbly consistency. The beer is very clear with a highly apparent carbonation bubbling up from the bottom. Surface is very active.
Aroma: Very lacking but perhaps notes of grainy and wheat. Some yeastiness, and mild bready sweetness.
Taste: Foretaste is clean and sweet, though much of it is balanced b the very neutral hops at the finish. Some corn-like aspects as well as bready/yeast astringency if you are really determined to think about it. Floralness. Pilsner malt.
Mouthfeel: Clean and refreshing as well as light and extremely drinkable. The finish is nice and dry, but just enough to quench the thirst. Highly palatable
Overall Impression: I think of this beer as the perfect summer quencher. Not only this beer, but this style. Like the recent NYTimes article, I agree that Sam Adams serves a good purpose in reviving good beer. This is the closest beer I see to getting down the drinkability measure in the craft beer industry.
85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment