Monday, July 9, 2012

Summer Solstice

 I received this can from Adam Slaker's going away party last weekend. I was able to get a ride from Holland to Chicago for the weekend to take part. Adam is being relocated from the Trader Joe's there to one in Corvallis, OR. Congrats Adam, and thanks for the can!

Appearance: Prior to even opening the can I noticed a few flaws: For one it was not firm from a strong carbonation. The root of the problem showed leakage at the seams. Oh well, I guess...this is the only can I got. The beer is a muddied amber. No carbonation, obviously. And the same goes for a head. Clarity is subpar with a prominent protein haze throughout.
Aroma: A rich biscuit and caramel malt base erupts from the surface of the beer. Clean smelling and ALL malt. One of the biggest and freshest grain based smells I've encountered.
Taste: Somewhat reminiscent of New Holland Brewing Co's Sundog, but with a richer biscuit malt base. I'd say they dosed this beer with a ton of Briess pale malt giving it that really wholesome biscuit/caramel. It's sweet all the way through and perhaps even finishing a bit nutty in the end. A very subtle earthiness finishes out the beer along side a grain husk bitterness in the end.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Carbonation is extremely low, but still minimally present. Somewhat syrupy in the end, but I'm sure if the carbonation were at it's optimal, it would finish with a summery bite. Still, the end is drying and mildly refreshing.
Overall Impression: An entirely different interpretation towards a summer beer that I've ever experienced. Boasting a huge biscuit malt base, and little else. Nevertheless it fairs well on the refreshing side. I wish I got a template can of the beer to get a more accurate review.
I'm interested to know what the "Ale with natural flavor added" means?

No comments:

Post a Comment