Sunday, November 4, 2012

LAMBRUCHA

Thanks to Mandy and Craig at the Bad Apple in Chicago for giving Jen and I this bottle a couple weeks ago. I was in town for the Great Lakes Water Conservation Conference and had a chance to stop by their bar. A week earlier we had done a collaboration with them at our New Holland Pub....A dry rye Irish Stout. I had a chance to write this review sitting at the Bad Apple bar after finishing a delicious burger typing on my new (used) apple laptop my sister had just given me.
I know it's a foreign brew, but totally acceptable...

Appearance: A glistening golden color with a fizzy dense white head that mostly coats the glass, forming a large outer ring. Carbonation is visibly present as the occasional bubbles erupts to the surface. As the bottle is emptied, each sample/glass becomes cloudier and more glowing than the last.
Aroma: The scent is something unlike I've ever encountered. The pinnacle of the outdoors and a woody funk, that reminds me of that first smell when you break a prized mushroom find from its root mycelium growing out of a tree stump. Strange, I know, but exact to my memory. Some hints of ginger and spice follow, accompanied with a all too familiar Kombucha funk. Brett remains present throughout, too. Blck tea is notable as well.
Taste: Light and spicy up front.  A fully attenuated beverage with nearly every trace of sugar being fermented out into its complimentary by-product. Here, Brettanomyces reigns most dominant, alongside A follow-up flavor to the carbonation of ginger, notes of honey, wood and brief phenols. Heavy black tea appears briefly As the beer approaches room temperature, I get more of an acetic flavor in the back of the mouth. Musty, perhaps may be the optimal description of the conglomeration of flavors. One could even consider the overall flavor to fall on the neutral side of pine/evergreen.
Mouthfeel: Extremely dry and refreshing. As I said earlier, the full attenuation created the definition of "dry." Carbonation is strong and provides much of the mouthfeel. Tart, but not enough to clench the jaw. Palate is left dry and resinous, and fully quenched.
Overall Impression: One of the most interesting things I have ever experienced. The most woodsy flavor I have ever encountered. The Lambic probably provided this, derived from the wood it sat in, while the Kombucha and the tea incorporated the spice, the outdoors and the acetic undertone.

No comments:

Post a Comment