Monday, October 4, 2010

Oasis Ale

Special thanks to Dr. Darrin Good for this one! Coming all the way from Kansas, I got to try this one right out of the Can (a first). And I'm writing it into the blog as I try it (as opposed to transcribing it from my hard copy beer log journal). Pre-dinner tasting following practice.

Appearance: Mildly cloudy deep amber color. A strong foamed head that is well maintained. No carbonation visible.
Aroma: Strong pine and forest smell to this one as well as a caramel sweetness that holds the backbone. Dark fruit perhaps make subtle appearances.
Taste: A strong pine/floral bitterness complement a toasted caramel sweetness that I actually find similar to arrogant bastard! I also experienced a similar choco-biscuit flavor as well. The aftertaste is residually tacked to the tongue and cheek leaving a grassy bitter aftertaste. Sweetness takes several forms especially between dark baked fruit and warming biscuits. A perfect balance between bitterness and sweetness!
Mouthfeel: Drinkable with a moderate body. Like I said before this one is slightly tacky but nevertheless has a powerful flavor to back it up. I think the carbonation really helps add a little bit of flavor at the end, oddly enough texture and flavor overlap? I can't explain it better than that.
Overall Impression: I'm really excited to learn that something can taste so good out of a CAN! I was under the stereotypical impression--encouraged by megalo-breweries (i.e. Anhauser-busch)-- that canning was for the un-touchable end of the beer spectrum. But Whoa! nice work, this was a spectacular beer to say the least! If you ever see this one, get it! For I know I certainly will.


92/100

No comments:

Post a Comment