Saturday, October 30, 2010

Schlafly Winter ESB

It's here, Finally! I was able to try this when I got back from Australia and immediately fell for it. I was just stopping in to Hy-vee to pick up an absurd amount of garlic (which I forgot to get) when I saw this on the shelves. It has a new label (last years was purple) of a light blue. In celebration of my Final Cross Country race of college, my 26:25 8k Pr preceded this beer and these are the sensations I felt:

Appearance: Clear amber with a strong foamed white head worth a finger and a half, given a proper pour. No visible carbonation, despite the translucent hue.
Aroma: Spicy and full of aromatic adjuncts including caramel and toasted malt notes. Minimal hop aroma, but still a floral kick. I also smell some lagered characteristics to it as well.
Taste: Extremely spicy but delicate and sweet. There may be some ginger or even cardamon, but I'm not sure over the potent rye flavors (not a bad thing). This beer is quite herbal as well, with nutty undertones. I think the predominant flavor I can pick out of this (aside from rye) is the bittersweet pine taste that takes refuge in the finish of the beer.
Mouthfeel: Carbonation is medium with a bite to the tongue mid taste, to bring all the flavors through. Slightly tacky with a semi-thick body.
Overall Impression: This is an incredibly refreshing and flavorful beer with the utmost complexity. I'd recommend it to Eco and novice beer drinkers alike. A go-to overall others.


93/100

No comments:

Post a Comment