Thursday, December 23, 2010

One Oatmeal Stout

Tasted with Jen following a trip to Yard House and a long days work at Binny's. Served at room temperature.

Appearance: Coal black with absolutely no transparency. Head is a nice brown color that starts as a fingers worth and dissipates into a thick film. Lacing is minimal.
Aroma: Chocolate and coffee aroma with a subtle roasted nut smell. Mostly representative of dark chocolate and smooth vanilla liqueur
Taste: Very chocolatey with a smooth grain like taste. The roasted black patton malt comes through mildly but is masked by a cocoa roasted caramel. Roasted coffe dominated, but in a subtle manner. Being served warm (room temperature) I'm able to pick out subtle flavors. Some smokiness but also a nice balance in between sweet and dry stout.
Mouthfeel: Light carbonation with a likewise body I would have thought that, being an oatmeal based stout, there would be a fuller, creamier body, but this is not the case. Not to say this is watery, as it certainly is not/ Let's just say metaphorically it is the 2% milk relative to the whole milk. Nevertheless it is still smooth and well textured
Overall Impression: I actually really enjoyed this stout. I've never had the opportunity to taste a stout at room temp (being as I like almost all my beers cold). But since I've begun reading this beer book from the 1980's which shoots down American beer for being too cold, I think I'm more often than not going to attempt to experience them warmer. A nice balanced stout that incorporates a simple, but very flavorful profile.


88/100

No comments:

Post a Comment