Saturday, December 15, 2012

Silverback Pale Ale

My mom picked me up an assorted six-pack of beers (all cans) from her trip to CO. I tasted it on a rainy Saturday afternoon while watching Beerfest! This is my first taste of Wynkoop.
Pint served
5.5% ABV

Appearance: Glowing copper with a faint haze. The head sustains for a few minutes, but leaves behind a thin film across the surface of the beer.
Aroma: Woodsy and grassy. I find hints of citrus and lemongrass, though this remains very subtle against an otherwise more heavily malted pale ale scent. Some characteristics of oxidation are present.
Taste: A malty sweetness resembling baked bread and biscuity undertones. There is a bit of a sanitizer astringency about it, encouraging a green, grassy hop flavor. Not really a fan of the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Evenly carbonated and smooth. Not as dry in the finish that I expected, but enough to quench my thirst. No cloy. Medium bodied.
Overall Impression: I wasn't really a fan of this beer, though perhaps it tastes better fresh. The stale hop/astringency really stuck out to me and ultimately deterred finishing the beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment